Sunday, February 2, 2020

January 2020

In January 2020 I took my first trip to Los Angeles, visiting a close friend from high school who showed me the ins and outs of her sunny California habitat. I had three days to explore, so we packed as much into each day as possible.

Day one began with a hearty breakfast burrito at Sage Vegan Bistro, and a walk through Echo Park - I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of lemon and orange trees there were, adding flavor to each side street. My friend and I then took a drive to Pasadena, where we wandered The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Gardens for a few hours. The rich vegetation was just what I had been craving back in NYC. I could have spent all day reading, sketching, and taking photos within the gardens, but by golden hour we were back on the road and driving through Hollywood Hills. We arrived at Griffith Observatory just as the sun started to set, and I witnessed the most glorious first LA sunset imaginable. The rest of the night involved beautiful LA parking lot views from Grand Central Market, and book browsing at The Last Bookstore.

Me, taken by Lillian

Lillian, the loveliest host and guide this weekend

Walking through The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens
Sunset from Griffith Observatory
 
LA sunsets are something else
Day two started early at the Getty, where my friend and I admired clear views of the Pacific Ocean, along with the museum's gardens, European paintings, and beautiful photographs on display. Again, I could have spent all day roaming the grounds with my camera in one hand and sketchbook in the other, but by mid-afternoon we were back on the road. My friend gave me a brief tour of Beverly Hills, and introduced me to another good friend who lived in the area. We all decided to grab lunch at Cafe Gratitude, where I had the very LA experience of announcing "I am dazzling" before ordering my meal, and then we made our way north to Malibu for another anticipated sunset. Although it was overcast, we relaxed on the beach until dark and I soaked up as much west coast salt air as I could. We ended the night with a delicious feast in Koreatown, and my first improv show at UCB.

Malibu Mentality pt. i

Malibu Mentality pt. ii
My third and final day in Los Angeles was spent exploring the colorful shops of Venice, and lounging on Venice Beach with my first meal from In-N-Out. Even with seagulls trying to snag a bite, it was delicious, indulgent, and the perfect send-off before my departure home. 

Along with creating more travel-inspired paintings, one of my goals for 2020 has been to capture more moments in film. Shooting 35mm has been such a huge part of my life since I first discovered the dark room in high school, so I was happy to reach the end of my first roll of the year before leaving California. Overall, my first impression of LA could not have been better. Scattered palm trees, exquisite food, great company and abundant exposure to art is the perfect recipe to kick off an inspiring year of art-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment